Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bend, Don't Break

Recently, we were treated to about a foot of snow. I know, you folks in the North are saying, "So what?" But here in Texas, even in North Texas, snow is a rarity. And this was our second snowfall since December. The weather prognosticators put us to bed with assurances that we'd see an inch or two on the grass, no accumulation on the streets. We awoke to a carpet of the fluffy stuff that kept on falling...and falling...and falling. It was still on the ground the next day, so schools and businesses closed and snowmen could be found in many yards.

We have a huge live oak tree in our back yard. As the snow accumulated on it, the branches bent lower and lower and lower. I was afraid that at any moment I'd hear a Snap and see a branch come tumbling down, causing damage I didn't even want to imagine. Instead, about half the branches settled gently onto our roof and many more rested on the edge of our fence. And when the snow melted, the tree sprang back, as good as new.

Have you ever felt the weight of the world pressing in on you, until you were ready to give up with your own Snap? I have--many times. Did you find support that held you up until your burden eased? I've leaned at various times on family, friends, and God in these circumstances, and I frankly don't know what I would have done otherwise.

If you're staggering under a burden right now, I hope you'll find the support you need to hold you up until your own personal snowstorm melts away. I know it will. They always do.

5 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

I love this analogy! Sometimes if we try to bear our burdens alone, we do snap. Thankfully we have ONE who will always hold us up, no matter what weighs us down, right? :-)

Susan DiMickele said...

Richard, well said! Hey, welcome to my world of snow. Very much looking forward to your book coming out in April!

Elaine said...

What a good application, Richard! Here in Grand Rapids, we're as tired of snow as you are in Dallas, I'm sure, but it keeps coming. I'm thankful the Lord promises the seasons will come and go. And we CAN trust Him.

Carol J. Garvin said...

We usually get only a short spell of snow here in southwestern Canada (except for the past two winters when we had snow on the ground for three solid months -- that was brutal), but so far this winter has been remarkably balmy and snow-free... not ideal for the Olympics but very pleasant for spectators.

Your analogy is wonderful. The trees and shrubs here bend, sometimes break and sometimes not, and I've seen how support makes the difference. It's reassuring to know that we can always count on similar support when we need it. "What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!" :)

Susan DiMickele said...

Richard, well said! Hey, welcome to my world of snow. Very much looking forward to your book coming out in April!