Thursday, August 19, 2010

What's Your Favorite Blog?

Many of you have voiced your opinions on the question raised in my previous post: How (and if) should a blog host respond to comments?

Offering interesting dialogue between host and commenter (or between several commenters) is one way to draw followers to a blog. Agent Nathan Bransford does this routinely. I've often been tempted to leave my own comment, only to be turned off by the fact that over 100 people have already left theirs.

Providing useful information is another means of gaining blog followers. The postings of my agent, Rachelle Gardner, are a goldmine of information, and I check her blog every day.

My question to you is this: What is one of your favorite blogs? And why? Don't list this one. I don't pretend to be in the big leagues, although the fact that you're reading this post right now pleases me immensely. I know you have dozens of favorites, but just list one. If someone else has listed your first choice, choose another. And tell us why you like it.

I suggest you list them as "Nathan Bransford's blog" or "Rachelle Gardner's blog" rather than giving the URL, because spam crawlers abound on the Internet. A quick search via Google (or Bing or Ask...choose a favorite) should get people to the right spot. Now chime in.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Hurry back to this blog on Monday, August 23 (my next regular date to post) for an exciting interview with Brandilyn Collins, who will tell us about her latest novel, her next book, and share her experiences with several other best-selling authors on their recent "magical mystery tour."

11 comments:

Carol J. Garvin said...

I can only name ONE? That's hard to do. How about one writer's and one agent's? I use Google Reader to keep track of all my writing friends, but if I'm rushed, the one blog I never miss is Jody Hedlund's. I love following her current journey from serious writer to publication. I hope I'll be on the same path one day. I appreciate her humble spirit as a follower of Christ. (That's one of the reasons I like your blog, too, Richard.)

You've already mentioned Rachelle, so I guess I can't. So I'll add Jessica Faust's helpful blog. She must get weary of all the questions and opinionated comments, but she's always polite, patient and professional.

Becky said...

I have to admit that one of my favorite blogs is actually a comic strip! http://ourobros.com When there's a new post, it's a fun break in my day.

Richard Mabry said...

Becky, I subscribe to a service that gives me a half-dozen comic strips each AM. Helps get my day started with a smile.

Carol, Good ones. I read them both. Jody has a lot more energy than I do, because she posts daily and has a lot of content. It's been fun to follow her journey. Another good one (by a writer who's just starting her own road to writing) is that of Rosslyn Elliott.

Thanks to both of you for the comments.

Nathan Bransford said...

Wow, thank you! I'm honored!

S. Kim Henson said...

Thanks for the wonderful ideas! I've added Nathan's to my link list - it's great - as well as yours, Dr. Mabry.

Is it tacky to say my own blog, S. Kim Henson, is my favorite? Okay, I knew it was. I only did it because I can't pay people to visit my site.

Jerry B. Jenkins is one of my favorites because he gives good advice to writers, he's funny, sets a good example for writing and personlizes his blog. Also, I met and liked him so that helps the liking-his-blog part.

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Thank you, Richard! That was an unexpected and welcome compliment. :-)

Another one I find really valuable is the blog kept by Michael Hyatt, the CEO of Thomas Nelson. He has such insight into leadership. And his thoughts on publishing are always cutting-edge.

Heather Sunseri said...

I'm embarrassed to tell you I read more blogs than I should have time for. But for writers, I believe my favorite blog is Jody Hedlund's blog. She is a writer finding her way like us all, but with each taste of success, she shares the ups and downs with humility and grace.

Rick Boyne said...

I don't want to be complicated, but I have different favorite blogs in different categories. I use Bloglines reader and currently subscribe to 182 feeds. Thankfully, they all don't post everyday, or I'd never get anything done.

But, for writing, it's Rachelle's Blog, hands down.

For all things Baptist, (I'm a Baptist pastor) it's SBCImpact.

Among my friends, it's Steve Heartsill's "All toes in the water".

And from the Vacation from Reality category, it's "Failblog"

Have a great weekend!

Rick

Heather Sunseri said...

I'm embarrassed to tell you I read more blogs than I should have time for. But for writers, I believe my favorite blog is Jody Hedlund's blog. She is a writer finding her way like us all, but with each taste of success, she shares the ups and downs with humility and grace.

Nathan Bransford said...

Wow, thank you! I'm honored!

Carol J. Garvin said...

I can only name ONE? That's hard to do. How about one writer's and one agent's? I use Google Reader to keep track of all my writing friends, but if I'm rushed, the one blog I never miss is Jody Hedlund's. I love following her current journey from serious writer to publication. I hope I'll be on the same path one day. I appreciate her humble spirit as a follower of Christ. (That's one of the reasons I like your blog, too, Richard.)

You've already mentioned Rachelle, so I guess I can't. So I'll add Jessica Faust's helpful blog. She must get weary of all the questions and opinionated comments, but she's always polite, patient and professional.